The ReelOzInd! Australia Indonesia Short Film Competition congratulated the winners at premieres in Melbourne and Surabaya, before sending the festival to all corners of both countries.
Following the exciting competition phase, which generated hundreds of entries, the ReelOzInd! Australia Indonesia Short Film Competition announced the shortlist, special mentions and winners during two premiere screenings in August.
On Sunday 21 August, Consul General of the Republic of Indonesia for Victoria and Tasmania, Ibu Dewi Wahab, opened the Melbourne premiere at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
Producer, director and screenwriter of Dog and Robot Blair Harris was awarded Best Animation and discussed his work on stage with judge and veteran producer Andrew Mason (the Matrix trilogy, The Water Diviner), ReelOzInd! organiser Jemma Purdey, and film critic and writer Peter Krausz.
Hundreds of film fans then viewed a selection from the competition shortlist, including all the special mention films and winners in each category. ACMI is also hosting all the films at their Mediatheque, where anyone can visit and view the films until September 21.
The following day in Surabaya, Dr Gaston Soehadi hosted the Indonesia premiere of ReelOzInd! at Universitas Kristen Petra’s Petra Little Theatre.
Following a screening to a packed house, Pak Gaston facilitated a discussion with the winner of Best Fiction and Best Film Amelis, Dery Prananda, and winner of Best Documentary The Eagles’ Eyes, Stephanie Pascalita Gunawan. He also spoke on stage with director, critic and Managing Chairman of Indonesian Art Coalition M. Abduh Aziz.
After the premiere of the ReelOzInd! Australia Indonesia Short Film Festival, the shortlist of films goes on the road, with screenings in all corners of both countries.
The shortlist is also available online, at www.reelozind.com, where those who can’t make the events can still watch the films and vote for their favourite for a Most Popular Film award to be announced following the festivals.
ReelOzInd! Australia Indonesia Short Film Festival dates
- 21 August: Australian Premiere, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Melbourne
- 22 August: Indonesian Premiere, Petra Little Theatre, Universitas Kristen Petra, Surabaya
- 21 August-21 September: Mediatheque, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Melbourne
- 27, 28, 29 August: Kineforum, Jakarta
- 8 September: Dendy Newtown, Sydney
- 10 September: Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane
- 15 September: National Film and Sound Archive, Canberra
- 16 September: Klub DIY Menonton, Aula Dinas Kebudayaan Daerah Istimewa, Yogyakarta
- 21 September: Program Studi Televisi dan Film, Universitas Jember, Jember
- 22 September: Universitas Brawijaya, Malang
- 25 September: Darwin International Film Festival, Deckchair Cinema, Darwin
- 28 September: Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung
- 1 October: ASILE Conference, Flinders University, Adelaide
- 8-15 October: Fringe Event, 2nd Minikino Film Week, Bali
- 5 November 2016: Festival Pelajar Kota, Probolinggo
ReelOzInd! Australia Indonesia Short Film Competition Winners
- (Best Fiction/ Best Film) Amelis, Dery Prananda (producer/director/ screenwriter), Indonesia 2016
- (Best Youth) Finding Home, Radheya Jegatheva (producer/director/ screenwriter), Australia, 2015
- (Best Documentary) The Eagles’ Eyes, Wisnu Dewa Broto (director/ screenwriter), Stephanie Pascalita Gunawan (producer), Indonesia, 2016
- (Best Animation) Dog and Robot, Blair Harris (producer/director/screenwriter), Australia, 2016
- (Best Collaboration) Miner’s Walk: Supeno, Josephine Lie (director), Niken Pamikatsih (producer), Indonesia/Australia, 2016
- (Special Mention Fiction) Heaven of Children, Amir Masoud Soheili (director/writer), Simiya Film (producer), Indonesia, 2016
- (Special Mention Youth) Rain n Neighbour, Ganapati Wraspati (director), Indonesia, 2016
- (Special Mention Fiction) Chasing Dangdut, Gisela Levy (director/ writer), Aulion Wirizqi (producer), Indonesia, 2016
- (Special Mention Documentary) The Crowded Bridge, David Darmadi (producer/director), Indonesia, 2016
- (Special Mention Collaboration) Behind the Mask, Johan Ramandias (director/ writer), Wenny Sunarharum (screenwriter), Australia/Indonesia, 2016
- (Special Mention Fiction) Kane, Sarah Christie (director/ producer/ screenwriter), Benjamin Strumm (Screenwriter) Olivia Fay (Producer), Annabelle Gilroy (Producer), Joshua Morgan (Producer), Australia, 2016